04. Using an E-Collar
Post date: Aug 16, 2011 6:42:58 PM
There are entire books on this subject and I won't try to summarize an entire area of training here. Just a few rules to live by.
- Get someone to show you how to use your e-collar before you put it on your dog.
- Learn to use the remote without looking at it or thinking about it. Your eyes and focus need to be on the dog.
- Timing is key - if you're a second late, you may be teaching your dog a completely different lesson than you intended.
- Use the collar on yourself before you use it on your dog. You need to know what the different modes feel like.
- Only use the collar to enforce commands the dog already knows.
- Use the collar at the lowest setting needed to get the dog's attention. If the dog yelps, it's too high.
- Never use the collar to punish the dog.
- If you're angry with your dog, turn the collar off. You aren't going to do any good with it anyway.
- Never use the collar when you can't see the dog. He may be doing something bad but he also may have just gone on point.
- When in doubt, stay off the collar and save the lesson for next time.