10. How do I build a quail pen?
Post date: Aug 18, 2011 1:56:57 AM
There are many styles of quail pen and no one right answer. I built the pen below without designs. Here are a few tips.
- Most quail pens have a 1/2" galvanized wire mesh bottom so that the birds aren't walking in their own waste. I added a "litter box" drawer with wood pellets below the birds.
- Make sure you can block off a small area with a second door the size of your arm for getting the birds out.
- Consider how you'll keep the birds in this small area. This coop has a hinged door in the partition attached to a string that runs through the wire on the top of the pen.
- Don't build the bird area too high. If the birds have enough room to get momentum, they'll hit their heads on the top and hurt themselves.